Sunday, October 25, 2009

Marc's Accident


I'm sure that most of you have heard by now of my husband's accident that took place early this past Friday morning. A large piece of concrete entered through the windshield, hitting him in the forehead. His skull was fractured in 3 places, the worst fracture actually pressing the bone into his brain, requiring surgery. His left eye orbit was also crushed as was his nose and both of those had to be rebuilt.
Our Missions Director was traveling with Marc at the time of the accident and together they were able to get the vehicle off the road. An ambulance was called and according to the advice of a businessman who was at the roadside truck, they took Marc to a very good hospital in Celaya, Gto., Mexico. - Centro Medico Quirugico. He has been operated on and attended by 2 very competent neurosurgeons, a plastic surgeon and an opthmalogist. The nurses have been very attentive and I'm so thankful for the good medical care he is receiving.
The piece of his skull that was pressing on the brain was lifted and then put in place with several other broken pieces of his skull with titanium plates. Also the left eye orbit was repaired using a titanium plate.
The neurosurgeons are happy with his recovery so far. He has passed the first most critical 24 hour period - thank the Lord. He is dealing with alot of pain, but has been a trooper through all of this. Despite his skull being bashed in, he was able to walk to the ambulance, crawl in the back, and lay on the stretcher. He never lost consciousness once, but as a result has dealt with an incredible amount of pain.
I am so thankful for our wonderful friends, John Parker and Clair and Melba Sams. John surely saved Marc's life...I cannot imagine what would have happened if he had been alone. The Sams have fully taken over the care of our sons for me (even down to the dirty laundry). I cannot begin to explain how grateful I am that they are here with me. Most of our Mexican pastors have been here to pray and sit with Marc...Eli and Isela have spent hours with me, Pastor/Conf. Pres Dolores has taken care of important Missions business that Marc could not care for. Thank you so much.... Most of all, to my wonderful Lord, for sparing the life of my precious husband Marc.
This is of course a picture of our Sequoia, showing where the piece of concrete entered. I have other pictures of the vehicle and of Marc, but frankly, I am not ready to share them..maybe never. They are heartbreaking to me and too graphic to post.
Thank you for your prayers. We need them.
Melodie

21 comments:

Unknown said...

You and your family continue to be in my prayers.

Cheryl said...

Praying for you from Kansas. God is soooo good!!!

Jennifer Truitt said...

Melodie, I know this has to be so stressful for you!! You are in our thoughts and prayers! Praying for a quick recovery for Marc with relief from the pain and for strength for you and the boys!! Wish so bad there was something we could "do"!! We will just keep praying!!!

Jeanne said...

Your family has been on my mind ever since I heard of the accident on Friday...praying!!!

Unknown said...

Our thoughts and prayers are with your family.

Ashley Hoover said...

I was shocked to hear about the accident and it's just amazing how God worked already and I trust He will continue to do so! I'm praying for you all!

Judith Atnip said...

We are praying! I am so thankful with you that God spared Marc's life!!!!!!

Lisa Messner said...

I prayed all through the night last night for Marc and you and the boys. I know God's hand is on your lives. I am sorry you are having to go through yet another trial, but we know God is able to carry you through...again!
Love you, continuing to pray!
Lisa and family

Jim said...

So sorry to hear about the accident - your family is in my prayers.

lauralavon said...

You all are certainly in our prayers, Melodie. I can only imagine the ache you are carrying. I wept for you all when I read John's post about the accident.
May our Father comfort your heart and bring healing quickly to Marc.

Jeejee said...

Melodie, I have been praying for Marc since I heard about the accident on Cathy Parker's facebook. Please know I am also saying prayers for you-that God will give you peace in your spirit and mind and strength in body.

The Salisburys said...

We were so saddened to hear of this terrible accident. It seems that sometimes we can't bear the trials anymore but God is still there and will walk with you every step of the way. Our son, Luke, is Logan's prayer partner and not a morning passes that he doesn't pray for Logan and now he has added Logan's Daddy to his prayers. Blessings on you and may rest and healing come quickly for your family.

Daryl Hausman said...

Marc, Melodie, sons and extended family,
We are praying for your entire family that God will administer complete healing, comfort, encouragement,even that God would use this tragedy to advance His kingdom and bring souls to Him.

Daryl, Laura and family

Sarah Cook said...

Melodie,
I want to you to know that you all are being prayed for back here as well. I dreamed about you all the other night, and I think I got up and prayed for you... I know I have been praying when I am awake. My heart is so broken for you all, but glad to hear he had good surgeons. Ron had a good neuro-surgeon back here when he had his surgery on the tumor... it sure helps comfort, but it is still very scary. He has pins or screws, but I don't think he has any plates. Please know that you will continue to be in my prayers... you, your husband, and the boys. We love you all so much and I wish I could give ya a hug. may God be with you in a special way.
Sarah

Anonymous said...

Praying for you from Honduras! So thankful that God spared his life. In the middle of our trials, we can rest assured that God only has our best interests in mind and is working all things for His glory. Keep encouraged. The most awesome thing we experienced with the death of our baby 2 months ago was that so many of God's people were praying for us and He was hearing and answering. That's what has pulled us through and He will pull you through as well.

Candlelight said...

I'm praying for all of you.God will work everything out okay.I'm thankful you have so many people to help you out during this time.Though this accident is absolutely horrific,I think to myself that it could have been alot worse.God definitely was protecting Marc and I believe kept him from being instantly killed.I'm praying for Marc's healing and that you all will feel God's peace,strength,and grace at this time.

Doug and Kim Hoffman said...

I wept when I read the email from Bro. Parker. I can't imagine how painful those moments were for all of you! God is so good and we thank Him for what He's done so far and continue to pray that He will give you strength and complete healing to Marc.

Andy said...

Hugs!

Sherry Sherron said...

Melodie, I am sure this is such a difficult time for you but God is helping both you and Marc and he will continue to do so. I faithfully read your blog but have never commented until now. I just had to let you know that you all are in our thoughts and prayers. You have been faithful, now God is being faithful to you and bringing you through this. God bless you all.

Kim Davis said...

Melodie, Marc and boys, I want you to all know that you all are in my thoughts and prayers! God is able to see you all through!

Stephanie said...

Please know that your family has been in our prayers and will continue to be! We are so grateful to God for sparing Marc's life. I'm praying especially for you today, Melodie, that God would be near you and help you and give you the strength you need!

Stephanie Ryan