Wednesday, March 12, 2008

My Grandmothers would be proud


I miss both my Granny Agan and my Grandma Miller and think of them often. My Granny was an excellent seamstress and my Grandma an excellent quilter. Boy, they would be proud if they could see me now...
I just completed my first quilt!

The Winter Volunteer Ladies here on the RGBI campus have an amazing quilt-making and giving ministry. Their quilts go literally around the world. One of those ladies, Judy, taught quilting classes in her home area before coming as a volunteer and she offered to teach me and Cindy, another missionary wife to quilt in the afternoons. So after the boys' schoolwork is done, I have spent 3 weeks or so, quilting in the afternoons. I loved it!

For my first project, I chose a baby quilt, because it was smaller, looked easier, and my friend Cindy had told me how easy her first one was. I think it turned out so good, especially for an amateur like me.
Here's a few photos to tell the story.
Cutting, sewing, piecing together....
My teacher, Judy, and I with the finished quilt top
Such a sweet lady!
My neighbor, good friend and fellow quilter, Cindy



24 comments:

Michelle said...

It's really pretty, Melodie! You did a really good job! Do you get to keep this one since it's your first?

emily said...

Hmmm...a baby quilt. You know, people make baby announcements in all kinds of different ways. We had 3 boys like you and now later we are having a girl...hmmm... Just kidding! no rumors starting here=) It is very nice. Take care!

The Pastor of a Small Rural Church said...

It's beautiful!!!!

Julie

Michele said...

How neat! I wish I could come join your classes, what fun we would have. I've always wanted to quilt. You did a wonderful job, it looks like you've been quilting all your life. Love and miss you!

Springer Family said...

WOW - I'm impressed!! =) ~ More so that you found the time to do it!! =)

Tamra said...

Yay for you Melodie! You did AWESOME! Looks fun. RGBI doesn't seem to lack for activities and nice voluteers to help out in those areas. What a blessing! It was good to see the photo of Cindy. I had been thinking about her. Miss you bunches!

Betty said...

So proud of you girl!!!! Looks like you did a super job. It is very pretty.

love ya Betty J

Stephanie said...

That is so cool! Good for you! Another hobby when scrapbooking isn't always an option!

Janet Sankey said...

Wow...Melodie, is there anything you can't do? I'm so proud of you and that quilt is beautiful. Glad you shared the pics of you and the quilt. I miss you. Love, Mom

Janet Sankey said...

Wow...Melodie, is there anything you can't do? I'm so proud of you and that quilt is beautiful. Glad you shared the pics of you and the quilt. I miss you. Love, Mom

The Dickinsons said...

Melodie, you did a great job...the quilt is really pretty! =)

Missy said...

I totally love it! I would love to have a quilt that you made. Grandma and Granny would be proud! So am I! Great job. Love you...

Angie D said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Angie D said...

I have wonderful memories of quilters at my grandmother's home years ago. I'm dying to try my hand at it!

The Going Blog said...

I love the color and pattern combinations. What a fun project. Now you can scrapbook the whole process :) Have a great day!

Beth Stetler said...

Love it! My favorite colors, too.

Melanie C. said...

Wow! Great job! I like the choice of colors...makes me want to take up quilting!!!

Sarah Cook said...

Very nice!

Vonnie said...

Melodie, that is so beautiful!! It is so neat that you have learned to do that. You did a great job!!!

Diane said...

Nice job! That was a big accomplishment in a short amount of time. It's something I've always wanted to do, but never have.
Did you know they have a quilt museum in Paducah, KY? I didn't until I was driving through there on my way home to Missouri from Hobe Sound. There are some fantastic quilts there, it would be worth anyones time if they're passing through to stop and visit it.

Myranda said...

You're awesome!

I love you!

Leah said...

What a wonderful job!!!

Kathy said...

Good job! Beautiful quilt!

Martha C said...

Oh, I loooove it! Great job.